Every day, each year, many millions of people, go on some sort of diet, and, the vast majority, of these, are less than successful! Why do diets, so often, fail, or, at least, don’t provide the results, desired, by the individual? Since, we are each, different, in some ways, our reasons, perceptions, and priorities, in terms of wanting to lose weight, may differ! There are numerous causes/ reasons, for this, and, often, it is not, one cause, but a combination, of them, which, create these failures/ disappointments! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, review, examine, and discuss, 5 of these reasons/ causes, what they represent, and how, better understanding them, may positions, some, better, to achieve their personal objectives.
1. Lack of discipline/ commitment: Any successful, weight – loss, program, requires a significant degree of personal discipline, and real commitment! One must know, and be motivated/ inspired, by his personal reasons, and/ or needs, and driven to maintain, his striving, towards, seeing – the – light, at the end, of the tunnel!
2. Insufficient persistence/ giving up/ path of least resistance: It takes considerable persistence, to stick with, any weight – loss, plan, because, it means, doing something, different, and rarely, taking the path of least resistance. Most people seem to, either believe, hope, etc, their diet will work quickly, and, then, they can go back to the past habits. This is the reason, that some experience, short – term, diet successes, but, end – up, putting the undesired weight, back – on!
3. Underlying physical cause/ reason: Some start of diet, merely, because, they hope, to take a few pounds, off! Others, do so, on the advice of their health professional! Still – others, want to change their body – image, etc! Whatever, one’s personal reasons, it is important to begin, by giving yourself, a check – up, from the neck – up, and determining your personal reasons, for wanting to lose weight, and, how important, it may be, for you, personally!
4. Choosing/ selecting the wrong diet, for you: Some diets, may, be, more important, and personally, inspiring, than others! Review, carefully, what the specific requirements of your plan, are, and, whether, they align, with your personal habits, preferences, food choices, etc! For example, if you don’t eat fish, or fowl, those diets, won’t work, for you! If, you don’t enjoy, or don’t want to commit, long – term, to an exercise regimen, don’t choose, a plan, which requires that! Investigate the options, and which is best, for you. Are you looking, long – term, and, if you are, how might you change your habits, and lifestyle, or, only, for a short – term, quick – fix?
5. Unrealistic expectations (creating a self – fulfilling, prophesy, of failing): The best diets, are those, where one, gradually, takes – off, the pounds, in a health way! Some of the plans, create, a short – term, inspiring focus, where you immediately, take – off, lots of weight (mostly, water – weight)! When, we set unrealistic goals/ expectations, we are often, disappointed, and, thus, our diet fails!
These 5 reasons are some of the causes, for diets, being unsuccessful! The more you know, and understand, the better, your chances, of succeeding!