It’s no secret that I believe in GOMAD – the process of drinking a gallon of milk per day to gain weight and build muscle. It’s far from a perfect process, of course, but there are definitely a lot of myths and misunderstandings floating around there.
In the next few hundred words, I plan to address them.
- You’ll get fat. No, you’ll gain fat. There’s a difference. If you get fat on GOMAD, you’re not skinny to begin with, so why are you trying to gain weight? If you’re looking to get stronger, just start lifting weights.
- It’s not healthy. There are definitely healthier things you can do than GOMAD, but most people only do it for a month and it’s better for you than eating processed fast food or drinking a sugary soft drink.
- It doesn’t work. This depends on your goals. GOMAD will help you gain weight and build muscle. It’s not going to make you The Hulk in 30 days though. You need realistic expectations. Just be assured, you will have made significant progress by the time it’s over.
- There are better alternatives. Unless you’re capable of stuffing yourself with solid food every day, there’s not. Milk is easy to consume and packed with calories, fat, and protein. It’s the best option.
- You don’t have to drink whole fat milk. No, you do. No other type of milk contains the right balance of macro-nutrients. If you’re vegan, this counts you out I’m afraid. Don’t try to cheat, either. Other types of milk won’t work.
- Saturated fats are bad. Saturated fat is actually good for you. Almost everything that people said it hurts health-wise, it actually helps. Flip all those preconceptions about it.
I don’t want to preach GOMAD for anyone and everyone though, as there are definitely some side-effects:
- You might break-out in some acne. This, however, can be avoided by drinking green tea or getting your hands on some raw milk (which is more difficult, unfortunately).
- You’ll probably get constipated. But this can be avoided with some mild laxatives.
- You’ll fart a lot. This is where “clenching” comes in handy. But also remember, this process only lasts a months. It’s temporary.
And while these side-effects exist, they don’t discredit the fact that GOMAD works. If you want to gain weight and build muscle in a short amount of time, drinking a gallon of milk a day will help with that.