Check out http://TheToothStation.com for a professional pediatric dentist in Folsom California.
What do you think? Like, favorite, subscribe, share and comment.
Diet & cavities – what is known & suggested.
An Experiment at a Mental Hospital in Sweden.
1. Patients at this hospital had been given a healthy balanced diet consisting of 3 meals a day.
2. Overall the patients had a very low caries rate — not many cavities.
3. Some patients were given a sticky, chewy candy with lots of sugar every 15 minutes.
4. The patients who were given the candy developed many cavities within a few months.
5. Patients at the hospital who consumed sugar frequently. Patients got lots of cavities after starting a diet of frequent carbohydrate intake and their teeth probably looked something like
this picture on the right.
6. Many of the patients teeth had to be removed.Other studies have shown that people who lived near the sea and ate fish had much less cavities then people who lived inland and ate figs.
Fish is low in carbohydrates but figs have a lot of sugar. Frequent consumption of drinks sweetened with sugar throughout the day will increase risk of dental decay.
Juice, even diluted with water. Hint: Can mix juice and powdered drinks with xylitol powder (like powdered sugar) and it will be good for the teeth.
Soda, has both lots of sugar and acid. Hint: Can use a soda stream or similar device and use xylitol for the sweetener. Adding carbonation to any liquid will result in increase acid.
Sports drinks have salts & sugar. Hint: Drinks that have just salts and ions will not harm the teeth. If the drink has an artificial or xylitol sweetener it is just fine for the teeth.
It is better to have your candy all at one time, then to nibble on it all day long.
Foods in the following categories have helpful proteins & arginine that reduce acid in the mouth and are low in carbs.
Dairy: Milk, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Yogurt & Soy
Seeds & Nuts: Sunflower Seeds & cashews
Seafood: Fish Sticks & Tuna Sandwich
Think a healthy snack !
Milk: It does a tooth good.
Cheese: Happy cows say cheese in California.
Sunflower Seeds: Grown in our own central valley.
Xylitol: It is a natural substance found in plants & Trees that has about the same sweetness as sugar.
Caries promoting bacteria cannot convert it to acid — therefor it cannot lead to tooth decay. It makes an excellent substitute for sugar in candy and gum.
Xylitol has been found to increase saliva, decrease acid and caries promoting bacteria when used regularly 3-5 times a day after meals. It is available in multiple forms: Examples
Lollipops – Available at www.drjohns.com
Gum – Can get at most stores
Powder – Available at www.xylitolusa.com
Other Foods that may be helpful Are:
Licorice Root (glycyrrhizin) – Available at www.gaiaherbs.com. May reduce caries promoting bacteria.
Green Tea (epigallocatichin) – Available at stores. May reduce the activity of caries promoting bacteria.